Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Oct 17, 2015, 22:17 »
You asked re Wainrights trays......

My daughters 2 year old Pug seems to do  well on the Wainrights trays (duck) .

I researched on here & elsewhere before we introduced it. We change to an alternative ingredient occasionally so as to avoid intolerance.

I think they claim hypoallergenic for all or some & also do grain free.

It certainly reviews fairly well on here & I couldnt find anything else comparable for similar or lesser cost when we inroduced it last year.

Dont dismiss proper research on mixers if wanting same to go with a suitable wet complete. The listed  ingredients of some are allegedly vague to say the least & some raised a question mark or two for me. No good feeding an acceptable wet complete and adding unknown rubbish to the bowl.

We feed laughing dog mixer wheat free I think. We were feeding the Burns hypoallergenic mixer but it was significantly more costly. I havent mentioned our daily feed ammount as Collie & Pug  feed needs are clearly worlds apart.

Ditto above ;)

General discussion / Re: Please help!
« on: Oct 17, 2015, 21:33 »
I am neither a vet, nurtitionalist or breed expert ,however, as indicated above the food selector can be useful.

I note you mention three potential dietary health factors. You indicate a lot of digestive issues, you state your vet thinks there is grain intolerance & you think the dog has chicken allergy.

My personal unqualified opinion is that It would take significant skill, testing or specific ingredient elimination to properly identify any ingredient specific dietary intolerance or allergy.....especially in a puppy just 15 weeks old.

There are so many non dietary factors that can affect a dogs presenting as having "a lot of digestive issues."

Factors to consider might also include.......vaccinations, worming products, meds, flea treatments, illness, (including worms in wormed dogs), drinking old water (such as from puddles or outdoor sources), also floors are often licked by puppiies.

Scavenging can be a real issue. I say scavenging but I dont mean from human plates, this can be garden scavenging where the dog eats all sorts......from household waste spills, snails,  fox or cat faeces etc, compost bins etc etc. Meal size, frequency, number of feeds, stress and exercise/play relative to feed times can sometimes be factors too. Puppies & young developing dogs can also be a little hit & miss as their young internals get used to solid dog foods.

I accept you may be an experienced dog owner so apologies if some or none of the above are worthy of your consideration (I have posted here not only for your potential benefit but also with future thread viewers in mind).

Assuming that food type is the sole or main issue you have to contend with then as you have been advised the food selector on here can be very useful. Ingredients & composition can be fine tuned in or out & budget can be factored too.

I wont recommend one particular food as your product  requirements are likely to be factored by the above. I also note that your seem happy with current food albeit you seem keen to find a more cost effective longer term solution.

Personally I sometimes like to be fairly convinced as to the unsuitability of a specific ingredient before removing or blaming it. Not ideal to start removing important energy & key dietary sources from a young growing dog so I can understand why product  trial and error is more often used......just be mindful as to the limitations of using this buy/try method if hoping to identify &/or eliminate genuine allergies &/or intolerances. In years past many dogs allegedly  seemingly well fed on basic foods &/or human table scraps rather than hypoallergenic diets.

You have already recieved good food advice to effectively stay on what works (if food is acceptable) or to use the directory & option selector to see whether any ingredient/composition/cost acceptable other food options might be available without unacceptable compromise.

If you do decide to stay on or change foods & the dog settles on it (allow a few weeks) then perhaps share your choice , experience & reasoning for it.......this may also help somebody else (although every dog is different).

Good Luck & enjoy the still relatively new pup addition.

Introductions / Checking In
« on: Oct 11, 2015, 21:53 »
Hello to all.

Long time lurker registering & checking in....

Currently own a Labrador, (working line).  Not the first dog owned & I grew up with dogs in household as a youngster back in 70's & 80's. The Lab is one of two dogs currently in household.

Over more recent years I have taken an increasing interest in dog foods.... Thanks not least to this site.

Over the years I have fed a variety of foods, wet complete, raw complete  & dry complete ........currently in process of switching from a good 4 star rated to well regarded 5 star rated dry complete, (extruded) due to need as well as choice.

I don't switch on whim but do change if I think there is a potential benefit or need.

I do look at ratings but make choices based on individual aspects such as, specific composition, ingredients, like for like value, customer service & feedback. I accept compatability with the individual dog is a huge factor & above a specific review or score.

Interesting times in the dog food industry with an increasing  variety of foods & choices. Keeping an eye on new  changes, various foods types & various production methods, (including rarer ones).

Arguably plenty can be done to further improve certain aspects of the industry but in the meantime this site & community seem to educate as well as helping the cause.... Thank You

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]