Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Dog foods / Re: Grain and Potato free?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 21:35 »
Perhaps I am looking in wrong places but....

Canidae Pure Sea (one I didnt know about) on their own site lists potato as an ingedient albeit alongside sweet potato.

Barking Heads grain free I prior overlooked when looking for grain & white potato free fish kibble albeit there is competition out there that has allegedly has higher fish content, is allegedly more cost effective to feed & has a higher AADF review rating.

I am very aware that individual dog compatability & personal preference are huge factors & its not just about meat content, ratings & cost.

Thanks for sharing info re these.

Dog foods / Re: bought a new food.... Thoughts?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 16:59 »
Pegasus,

I have zero issue with sellers having profit margins & I accept they are generally essential to business , however, I am unsure if prices of this food can significantly vary dependant on seller &/or labelling.(I also accept there are margins with non white labelled foods). It is the potential for price variation of identical bag content that would be my interest.

If I was buying this food my cost effective purchase decision would be to compare costs charged with delivery by  various sellers if they were essentially selling the same thing. Customer service is also a consideration.

I accept your comments re it being 33% lower price than other "grain free high meat content foods" albeit you dont name "the others" or their prices making it not possible to compare & evaluate products against each other relative to cost & composition. I also note this appears to be a 50/50 kibble. Nothing wrong with that ratio, (& I accept some dogs do better on this than higher meat content foods), however 50/50 kibbles sometimes retail lower than kibbles with a higher meat percentage. The term "high meat content" arguably covers a wide spectrum of percentaged composition albeit I accept the content in the food mentioned here is higher than in many other kibbles. ( I accept 50℅ is respectable, far better than many & meat content percentages have only increased significantly across some of the industry more recently).

I have no reason to dislike this food & would not criticise anyone for feeding or selling it if sourced at an acceptable price to concerned parties.

Just to refocus on the OP..... labelled composition/ingredients seem to indicate this is a good food for needs of many & far  better than many other foods out there in my opinion. I must clarify that I have never fed it though.

« on: Oct 19, 2015, 15:59 »
I appreciate that basic ingredient sourcing & feeding of RAW &/or home prepared have real benefits,  (I have fed tripe, meaty bones, chicken wings ( as well as a 5 star rated RAW complete) before.

My post was in response to the OP who was seeking names of a retailed dog food & in abscence of a branded grain & white potato free fish based kibble being named.

I personally do not feel that all processed dog foods are the same & consider other factors can also impact health.

I am not suggesting feeding or discussing RAW &/or home cooked are bad things but wasn't expecting such a high proportion of posts on these forums promoting home prepared feeding on a website I thought was "All About (Retail) Dog Food.

« on: Oct 18, 2015, 23:19 »
Re grain & white potato free (fish) kibbles....

I appreciate this thread is a few weeks old, however, developing on the last post.... I believe Akela 80/20 Fish Feast to be a single source (fish) protein, grain & white potato free kibble. .....Price currently £34.99 for 10kg. Hopefully they will keep the cost sensible once it has established itself more within the marketplace.

Another one to look at might be Naturea Atlantica with fish as main protein (but it does contain chicken fat , should that be an issue).

Orijen Six Fish is single source protein (fish) white potato free (allegedly extruded at lower temps than many other kibbles) it reads/reviews superbly but comes at a significant price.

Aatu is white potato free and truly single source protein - I presently know relatively little about this food though.

Finally Ziwi-Peak is a relatively new to U.K. air dried product and free of white potato as well as grains but wit a current AADF claimed price of  £89.99 for just 5kg , cost savings would arguably have to be a very low consideration.

Dog foods / Re: bought a new food.... Thoughts?
« on: Oct 18, 2015, 21:26 »
Not a bad food at all & I believe it is one I looked at myself before.

I agree it looks like a white label food (sold as various names but made by one manufacturer). I  believe  (but cannot be certain) Golden Acre (GA) make this.

Beet Pulp bothers some owners albeit yet to see anything to convince me  it is an issue despite occasional mixed views.

I have seen alleged comments re certain white label margins but the reaility is margins also exist with other branded foods.

In any case, relatively speaking you won't be feeding much quantity compared to owners of many other dog breeds.

Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Oct 18, 2015, 19:55 »
The mixer consideration comments by Dottie ironically might bring my suggestion of mixer (I currently use) with Wainrights trays back into consideration  ;)

I haven't posted a full review on it before as I am Neebie, but no issues here on Wainwrights duck & rice. No reactons, dog likes it, coat good, plenty of energy (2hr off lead walks a non issue for the Pug on this).

I acccept Pug & BC are miles apart but I consider the food is hard to beat when composition & price considered against other wet complete foods.

« on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:29 »
.....developing what Dottie correctly said highlights that mixer adjustments, (minor ones with the small dog I feed) , can be used to tweak carb input & dog weight management (particularly when on this relatively low carb wet complete)

Just as with humans I feel we should consider food input relevant to age,  energy output & body condition.  (Rather than sticking to a rigid daily amount we don't adjust or tweak).

On a side note I have recently been researching pros and cons of simple carbs within context of the dry complete I feed the Lab. The carb reláted conversation deveoped within this topic is now rightfully causing me to re-evaluate the pros & cons of adding mixer to wet complete.

Introductions / Re: Checking In
« on: Oct 18, 2015, 00:49 »
Thanks for the welcomes folks.

SilverB19......Thanks I  am very aware of the pros & cons of all food types available. I have happily fed raw complete & BARF before so have experience of it & it's well regarded virtues.

« on: Oct 17, 2015, 23:40 »
A: Mixer added for Variety, meal enjoyment, Dental maintenance (we clean teeth also) & to give small increase to overall feed ammount......He has 1/3 of a tray per feed, (2 per day), plus 3 or 4  biscuits each feed. Half a tray per feed a little too much for the relatively small dog currently in  household fed on this.

Method is to some extent a left over from learned old school dog feeding going back to 70's when I was a kid & the household dog (ironically a Border Collie) had tins of chum and winalot mixer......Not my feed choice then & there were far less dog foods available then. ( ironically back then I seem to recall as a kid being told the breeders feeding recomendation for the Border Collie back was fresh game amongst other things ! )

No real nutritional need for a mixer.

Some may regard our use of mixer here as not needed. That said I have in past seen some a dog food customers buy cheap kibble to use as mixer with tinned wet. (Personally I would never consider doing  that.

I believe the proprietor of CSJ owned & worked Border Collies. (Keri or Ceri if my memory correct). It may seem obvious but bear in mind they & other sellers sell many foods under one brand name but composition varies greatly. I say that as on other dog forums I see some saying they feed a certain brand name but not actually mentioning the actual named food. She also used to sell Autarky kibbles which arguably take some beating for those watching costs & keen to avoid poorer quality foods for similar cost. Essentially CSJ proprietor understands Collies.

The Labrador (3 year old ) here is on Akela Fish (dry complete) but a very recent switch so I cant really comment other than to say no issues thus far, decent stamina & acceptable waste output relative to suitable feed ammount. My buyers needs were fairly specific in wanting fish as protein souce, low carbs,  no grain , no white potato,  higher omega 3 than Omega 6 & other composition from a dry complete. 

If low carbs & grain free weren't important factors in my dry complete  choice I would have also seriously considered trying him on a decent cold pressed food.

What suits one dog might not suit another.

Not wshing to stray widely off topic so will briefly show my appreciation for Border Collies ( in my experience somewhat unique, highly intelligent & very trainable...but you already knew that of course )

Good Luck :)

« on: Oct 17, 2015, 22:17 »
You asked re Wainrights trays......

My daughters 2 year old Pug seems to do  well on the Wainrights trays (duck) .

I researched on here & elsewhere before we introduced it. We change to an alternative ingredient occasionally so as to avoid intolerance.

I think they claim hypoallergenic for all or some & also do grain free.

It certainly reviews fairly well on here & I couldnt find anything else comparable for similar or lesser cost when we inroduced it last year.

Dont dismiss proper research on mixers if wanting same to go with a suitable wet complete. The listed  ingredients of some are allegedly vague to say the least & some raised a question mark or two for me. No good feeding an acceptable wet complete and adding unknown rubbish to the bowl.

We feed laughing dog mixer wheat free I think. We were feeding the Burns hypoallergenic mixer but it was significantly more costly. I havent mentioned our daily feed ammount as Collie & Pug  feed needs are clearly worlds apart.

Ditto above ;)

General discussion / Re: Please help!
« on: Oct 17, 2015, 21:33 »
I am neither a vet, nurtitionalist or breed expert ,however, as indicated above the food selector can be useful.

I note you mention three potential dietary health factors. You indicate a lot of digestive issues, you state your vet thinks there is grain intolerance & you think the dog has chicken allergy.

My personal unqualified opinion is that It would take significant skill, testing or specific ingredient elimination to properly identify any ingredient specific dietary intolerance or allergy.....especially in a puppy just 15 weeks old.

There are so many non dietary factors that can affect a dogs presenting as having "a lot of digestive issues."

Factors to consider might also include.......vaccinations, worming products, meds, flea treatments, illness, (including worms in wormed dogs), drinking old water (such as from puddles or outdoor sources), also floors are often licked by puppiies.

Scavenging can be a real issue. I say scavenging but I dont mean from human plates, this can be garden scavenging where the dog eats all sorts......from household waste spills, snails,  fox or cat faeces etc, compost bins etc etc. Meal size, frequency, number of feeds, stress and exercise/play relative to feed times can sometimes be factors too. Puppies & young developing dogs can also be a little hit & miss as their young internals get used to solid dog foods.

I accept you may be an experienced dog owner so apologies if some or none of the above are worthy of your consideration (I have posted here not only for your potential benefit but also with future thread viewers in mind).

Assuming that food type is the sole or main issue you have to contend with then as you have been advised the food selector on here can be very useful. Ingredients & composition can be fine tuned in or out & budget can be factored too.

I wont recommend one particular food as your product  requirements are likely to be factored by the above. I also note that your seem happy with current food albeit you seem keen to find a more cost effective longer term solution.

Personally I sometimes like to be fairly convinced as to the unsuitability of a specific ingredient before removing or blaming it. Not ideal to start removing important energy & key dietary sources from a young growing dog so I can understand why product  trial and error is more often used......just be mindful as to the limitations of using this buy/try method if hoping to identify &/or eliminate genuine allergies &/or intolerances. In years past many dogs allegedly  seemingly well fed on basic foods &/or human table scraps rather than hypoallergenic diets.

You have already recieved good food advice to effectively stay on what works (if food is acceptable) or to use the directory & option selector to see whether any ingredient/composition/cost acceptable other food options might be available without unacceptable compromise.

If you do decide to stay on or change foods & the dog settles on it (allow a few weeks) then perhaps share your choice , experience & reasoning for it.......this may also help somebody else (although every dog is different).

Good Luck & enjoy the still relatively new pup addition.

Introductions / Checking In
« on: Oct 11, 2015, 21:53 »
Hello to all.

Long time lurker registering & checking in....

Currently own a Labrador, (working line).  Not the first dog owned & I grew up with dogs in household as a youngster back in 70's & 80's. The Lab is one of two dogs currently in household.

Over more recent years I have taken an increasing interest in dog foods.... Thanks not least to this site.

Over the years I have fed a variety of foods, wet complete, raw complete  & dry complete ........currently in process of switching from a good 4 star rated to well regarded 5 star rated dry complete, (extruded) due to need as well as choice.

I don't switch on whim but do change if I think there is a potential benefit or need.

I do look at ratings but make choices based on individual aspects such as, specific composition, ingredients, like for like value, customer service & feedback. I accept compatability with the individual dog is a huge factor & above a specific review or score.

Interesting times in the dog food industry with an increasing  variety of foods & choices. Keeping an eye on new  changes, various foods types & various production methods, (including rarer ones).

Arguably plenty can be done to further improve certain aspects of the industry but in the meantime this site & community seem to educate as well as helping the cause.... Thank You

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]