Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
It is interesting that the breeders dog has bad ears too. If the breeders bitch had ear mites it might suggest why yours has same assuming you have had a correct diagnosis.

I have prior fed both AG & JWB....better than some kibbles but neither would be my choice now.......If I had to feed a kibble & could justify cost then origen would be at the top of my shortlist. As for dogs wanting more....many dogs will happily eat more of most foods we provide if allowed to do so.

I am not a vet but I would look beyond diet to get rid of the ear mites. I haven't read lots about them but limited reading suggests they are living things & passed from cat/dog to dog.

Some reading today suggests some results from using corn oil...Please do some research before engaging in any home treatment programme & make sure treatment is specific and appropriate to the condition.

Have you had proper confirmation from your vet that your dog has a parasitic infection rather than a bacterial or dietary related infection ?

I’m also concerned that going on to an adult feed she would be lacking in minerals/supplements for her growth and joints?

Years ago protein & nutrition levels were typically lower in many adult kibbles. Accordingly &/or perhaps seizing market opportunities some kibble brands also sold puppy/breeder compositions.

Dog food has improved recent years....especially for those prepared to look beyond supermarket shelves.

It is now  possible to feed a quality  adult kibble that may provide more for a puppy than a lesser quality puppy kibble.  Some studying of adult &/or puppy composition lists will explain this better.

One more thing to consider is that there can be mixed views re appropriate protein levels when feeding puppies.  Some advocate high protein levels whereas some advise not exceeding a given amount.  I could suggest you speak with your vet or breeder but the reality is that many owners have a good understanding of what to feed.

The issue likely aggravated by diet or an allergy exposure environment (the later not necessarily in the home but make sure you are happy re carpets, bedding etc). Ear mites need a host so main focus is the dog.

Blood tests can be done for both the above.

I am not suggesting existing diet is the issue but I prior noticed maize content in AG large breed chicken & after they allegedly revised their compositions some years ago. I should clarify that I am NOT saying Maize is the issue or  that the issue is diet related.

A quick Google search yielded various results with natural suggestions for treating ear mites.  Corn oil seemed to be frequently mentioned. 

As with any treatment regime, do ensure you do your research 1st....particularly you should  consider any specific issues for younger dogs. There can be risks or pitfalls from various treatments. Treating your dog on your own or at variance with vet advice not for everyone . Consider a soft padded Elizabethan collar if itching aggravates the issue or topical applications might cause dog to scratch, rub or itch.

Proper research is key.

As for specific food recommendations I suggest you decide on food type (whether continuing with kibble or trying another type/category). Personally I would aim for appropriate protein level to assist appropriate growth rate but I would keep ingredients natural and basic. I might consider Fishmongers from PAH or fish4dogs if keen to keep it kibble based. If looking into cold pressed Gentle fish might be worth a look. Wainwrights or forthglade worth a look for grain free wet complete trays.  I see diet elimination has been sensibly prior mentioned.

Dog news / Re: Saving the British Bulldog
« on: Mar 13, 2018, 14:02 »
Thanks....I will take a look at the programme.

I had thought there had been some improvements in some lines of British Bulldogs of late.

Without wishing to stray off topic... There can still be healthier examples of breeds prior associated with health issues.  (Pug here that will do 4 hour walks without breathing issues).

Bad breeding can cause health issues but obesity can badly impact dogs......especially brachacyphilic breeds.

Best way to home test for diet allergies is to try elimination diet trials.

Try your dog on home cooked chicken & rice for 2-3 weeks & monitor her skin plus stool output.

If the issue continues then it is either NOT diet related or it is chicken &/or rice related.

You can repeat with other protein sources....beef, white fish, lamb etc.

A proper evaluation period before trying a new protein source is advisable.

In any significant deterioration in condition speak to your vet immediately.

Dog foods / Re: Rottweiler Dry Food Help!!
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 23:59 »
I will echo the sentiments above.

I would probably choose Fish 4 dogs over AG....as said get back to us re any other foods you like look of.

Decent grooming is a good idea. I have a ferminator...they can provide good results but go easy to start with...especially if skin is really dry. You don't want sore patches or a patchy uneven coat.

General discussion / Re: Ketogenic Dog Diet
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 23:42 »
Seaweed,  Thanks for sharig.I will take a look as soon as able :)

Just to add that Milies Wolfheart is the brand name.....They sell a significant number of foods which can significantly vary in composition side-by-side. 

Raw feeding / Re: Fed Nutriment- always hungry!
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 18:49 »
Thanks - appreciated.

I am always mindful that we do not know peoples full circumstances.....there can be legitimate perhaps personal reasons for members seemingly disengaging , (albeit it is so often new members & on back of a topic they start).

Fear not .....On here it will take more than this to stop my ramblings.  ;)

« on: Feb 12, 2018, 20:25 »
So glad I contributed ::)

Hi all, newbie here. I’ve had dogs before but feeding and food have changed A LOT in the last few years and I am getting confused!
Hopefully I will be getting a puppy soon (cavapoochon) and looking around at the best quality of food I can afford and can store. We live on a boat so storage space is very limited.
1. Tinned food used to be looked down on but I gather it’s now a really good option if you get the right one? Better than kibble in many cases?
2. Can you mix raw and wet complete foods or is it best to stick to one brand, one type..? In the past the advice was not to chop and change, but now I see people saying you need to offer a variety of foods.
3. Bones? Raw of course- or not bones? As a treat, and to gnaw and to clean teeth, alongside any kind of food.
4. I guess this will be a small dog which gives me more options for food because of cost. I want a complete so it has everything it needs nutrition-wise. I can’t store kilos of anything which is why tins might work. Particularly interested in whether you can add things to that sort of food as raw feeders do, to keep it interesting especially if I use one tin/flavour over a few meals (depending on size of dog).
Thanks for any help!  :)

1. There are some more acceptable wet completes.  Forthglade  &/or PAH Wainwrights grain free trays are just  a couple that are maybe worth a look.

2. You can change/swap periodically albeit most choose wet compete OR raw independently because they desire the specific advantages of each. I would not keep chopping changing as dogs can take a while to adapt which can result in issues including looser stools.

3. Raw bones are fine. Avoid choking risks or dental fracture risks....maybe try raw chicken wings or lamb ribs rather than load bearing bone from heavy cattle. Supervise feeding ideally and chuck them before they collect excess bacteria (more so in warmer conditions).

4. Agreed.....Maybe take a look at cold pressed foods. Closer to raw than dry extruded kibble and can be stored in cool dry locations......on a boat this might be an insulated store cargo hold away from moisture.

HTH

Dog foods / Re: Any small dog Milles Wolfheart Feeders?
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 19:04 »
Fed my active Lab MWH Agility mix for a while.....he didn't put on any excess weight and I fed slightly over RDA.

Smaller dog hear has never been fed kibble in his life so can't share my experience feeding MWH or other kibble to a small dog.

What I wil add is that MWH sell a variety of products which are often quite different from one another so do not base one particular food as representative of other products in their range.

Excellent customer service.....give them a call & ideally speak to Mark (joint proprietor).

Established BARF Raw feeder here.....

Sensible precautions can reduce risk.

I feed ours in  the rear porch. We no longer have small children.

Ideally bowls should be washed between feeds, worktops wiped after serving utensils washed.

Dont leave raw food hanging around at room temperature once defrosted !

As far as bowl, utensil, hand and work surface hygiene go its the same rules as dealing with &/or handling uncooked meat being prepared for human meals....common sense stuff.

Yes your dog may lick you....dog saliva kills a multitude of germs but transfer is possible, albeit the same risk as if you were to give your dog a bone as a treat. We have one smaller dog that is brachycephalic (short jaw - flat faced). Due to his face shape and skin creases we wipe his face with a hot flannel....I confess this is not done after every meal albeit we do it frequently. This is more to prevent bacteria or skin issues for him but I guess  it will also reduce risk of bacteria transfer from dog to human.

Both dogs here sniff recent urine (& occasional faeces) from other dogs. Like other dogs walked off leash they have been known to roll in dead fish, dead birds,  fox faeces & cow faeces. They have eaten horse faeces, scavenge discarded food, drink from puddles walk in mud of unknown composition. I chuck them in the sea, hose them off or stick them in the shower.

Like most humans I can't say I have never had a tender stomach for reasons unclear to me but I have never been admitted to A&E with confirmed medical issues linked to our dogs.

We keep a relatively clean home,  use spray bleach, anti-bacterial products  etc. All homes have plenty of health hazards in the home and out of it....Fridge doors, internal door handles, toilet seats, taps, bins, towels....Dont get me started on supermarket trolleys, public use door handles, shared work use keyboards etc.

Yes there are risks but a little common sense & everyday hygiene provision will reduce these significantly.

Hope this adds perspective &/or reassures a little.

« on: Jan 24, 2018, 18:25 »
Original Poster - You have responses from members trying to assist you......Please reply/respond when able.  :)

Raw feeding / Re: Raw feeding and vegetables
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 17:14 »
I feed BARF complete off the shelf products that include veg. I also chuck in some fresh Kale , (I am aware that there has been some commentary it may contain thallium). I add Kale as some say it has anti-cancer properties. I also chuck in certain veg if we are cooking same & have some spare.

I feed Nutriment or Wolftucker complete BARF mince products that include veg.

Interestingly Nutriment also market premium Raw products called Laverstoke Organic. Noteably these does NOT include veg in the composition despite a relatively hefty £5.20, (current at time of typing), price for one 500g tray of the Beef & Bone variety.

Prey feeders essentially don't tend to add veg to the bowl.

Grazing habits on certain grasses & greenery when on walks are enough to convince me dogs like &/or can benefit from veg, (some say dogs do this if they feel health benefit from adding same to diet - I am open minded) .

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22