Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - DQ

Pages: 1 [2]
Dog foods / Re: SBT puppy food
« on: Sep 02, 2015, 18:07 »
Sorry Dottie but Pero and Arden G are in the directory. Pero scores poorly , Arden G is better. I agree it would be a good idea to find out which Pets at Home the breeder is feeding as some of their foods are quite reasonable and not too expensive. I would recommended deciding on what sort of ingredients you are looking for and using the filters to select some others to help you choose. Personally I do not feed my dogs kibble but I do feel variety is important, so it might be worth selecting more than one brand. Also I wondered what you feed your whippet?.

Dog foods / Re: Grain and Potato free?
« on: Aug 31, 2015, 15:55 »
Hello, I wondered if there is any particular reason you feel rice and potato might be the culprits? Also you seem to feed a wide variety of foods. I think this can be a good idea but it could make it more difficult to track down the source of the problem. Finding one food with simple ingredients might help. Alternatively could you freeze some of your home cooking for emergencies.

Dog foods / Re: Bichon Friies feeding
« on: Aug 20, 2015, 19:50 »
I've no experience with pigs ears. If it is helping his behaviour, with no adverse effects, I'd keep on with them whilst you gain knowledge and experience. Another thing you could try to help keep him occupied is a Kong. These are a bit like a cross between a ball and a rugby ball, with a hole at one end. They come in different sizes. You can put treats inside them and they keep dogs occupied trying to get them out. You need to remember to reduce his main meals if you use them otherwise he might put on weight!

Dog foods / Re: Bichon Friies feeding
« on: Aug 19, 2015, 23:17 »
Hello, you do seem to have a bundle of 'fun' on your hands.! I have a minature schnauzer who had behaviour problems and he too was fed Pedigree -tinned wet food, not dry kibble. As well as intensive training I too looked at his diet and this began my journey into researching quality dog food. I currently feed raw, but he tested many other foods along the way. What I am sure about is that certain foods can effect his behaviour. In his case it effects his ability to control his emotions and focus. I also found that grain free diets are better for him.

I would encourage you to really study this website to inform your choice, I found the information in all areas invaluable.in the meantime a few pointers would be to look for ingredients that start with a meat source, avoid the terms meat and animal derivatives, look in the ingredients part of this site for more detail. Look for food as natural as possible. Beware of supermarket foods although one or two better quality foods are creeping onto their shelves. If you have a local pet shop see what they stock or Pets at Home have some good ones, their Wainwrights grain free has good reports. I personally don't like feeding dry kibble and they have some good wet varieties, Natures Diet, Natures Menu, Forthglade to name a few.

If you find the a Harringtons helps I'd try this for a while and then try something else. I found there is no quick fix and
 research can be confusing and daunting- but its worth it. The change in my dogs behaviour and appearance has been wonderful. So do keep trying with your boy. The reward will be worth it.

Site help and suggestions / Re: Help needed
« on: Aug 19, 2015, 22:44 »
Hello George, I too regularly read this forum and I have missed your contributions. I've always found your comments interesting and helpful.
I have contributed a couple of times but I mainly feel I lack confidence in having any thing useful or interesting to say! I only came to this issue of quality dog food 18months ago and still feel I'm learning. Like you George I now feed raw. (A long way from the Pedigree Chum I fed 18 months ago!) Like you I feel I can't recommend dry foods. It really worries me the number of puppies which seem to go onto kibble on weaning and thats it. I'm not fanatical about raw and I do feed tinned occassionally and I'm dabbling in home cooking, but dry kibble, no. I feed raw because i feel its the least processed. So I too find it difficult to reply to some posts. Maybe we should find away to put our experience across. Anyway I do hope you'll continue to contribute sometimes.

I agree with Dottie and Tinyplanets. I too feed raw not because of the ancestral diet but because of minimum processing. I also sometimes home cook and they get the occassional wet meal. I think minimum processing and variety is important. I don't feed kibble and it does worry me the number of dogs who are put straight onto what is mostly a highly processed food from weaning. I came to this conclusion after a great deal of research and would encourage you to think again about dry food.

General discussion / Re: Feeding dogs abroad
« on: Jun 09, 2015, 21:30 »
Arden Grange has stockists in Europe so they may be able to help. Gentle is made in Germany so there could be a similar product available in Europe, it might be worth talking to them. These are just 2 I'm aware of, there could be others if you look at there individual web sites.

Dog foods / Re: Nutriment
« on: May 07, 2015, 19:23 »
I thought I would let you know that I have had delivery problems with a different raw food company. The food was delayed on route due to problems with the courier and arrived today thawed. The company didn't suggest I refreeze and gave me a refund. It would seem not just to be Nutriment which experiences problems.

Dog foods / Re: Wainwright's Dog Food
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:30 »
Hello, I'm new to any sort of forum so please bare with me! I'm also relatively new to quality dog foods having started to research them earlier last year. I have to confess that before this I fed Pedigree Chum wet, mixed with  wholemeal biscuit. I thought I was doing the right thing, how I was taken in. Since I discovered the error of my ways, my 2 minature schnauzers have been 'test driving' a number of products. The wide range of foods has amazed me, I had no idea there were so many. I'm still not sure I've found the right ones. One of my boys is currently on Wainwrights grain free. I mix wet and kibble. I've had no problems feeding this. He likes it, but then he likes anything! His poo is good and there have been no upsets. He has some serious behavioural problems and I do feel he is better able to control his emotions when on this, whether it's because it is grain free I don't know. It's the only grain free he's had. During the test drive he has had other foods but I keep returning to this. My main concern is that I am feeding kibble. I've never been a fan even in the Pedigree days. The trouble with feeding just wet is that it can mean feeding large volume for small tummies.  The other boy needs extra to keep his weight on. (He's currently on Nature Menu tinned and Gentle.)The only thing I'd watch with Wainwrights is the fish variety. After trying this he smelt as though he'd been bathing in cod liver oil! Hope this is of some help, sorry to have rambled on.

Pages: 1 [2]