Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Lottie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Dog foods / Concern with Cold Pressed food
« on: Jun 03, 2019, 07:48 »
Hello  Although I mostly raw feed my two Shih Tzu's I thought I would try some dry food that may help with the older one with itching and when I haven't taken the raw out of the freezer in time.
With the help of the All About Dog Food directory I decided on Cobbydog Cold Pressed food ( Fish Supper) mainly because of the addition of TumerAid, and the fact that they manufacture it there, as they say they are the only ones to do that in the UK

They are both loving it so have introduced it gradually and feed it for their breakfast and raw at night, which is how I would like to feed them from now on and Cold Pressed allows it to be fed like that.

What I am finding is that the younger dog who is 9kg &10 years old is poohing a lot more ie 4 times a day in fact twice a day more than on completely raw, and my concerns are that the nutrients are not staying in her for want of another way of putting it. Their stools are nice and firm but not as solid as on raw only which much be more comfortable for them when passing them through.

My older one is ok at the moment as she doesn't always want breakfast and is almost half the weight of the other at just over 5kg &12 years old.
 Is this normal with Cold Pressed as they say it is very close to raw  which is why I wanted to try it in the first place. Has anyone else noticed this ?

I have raw fed my two girls -Shih Tzu's for around 7/8 yrs and have never had an issue. Yes you have to be aware of  cleanliness but no more than how you would treat preparing your own raw chicken for example. Making sure the surfaces are clean and spray with a suitable Antibacterial cleaner which most would do anyway.  So personally I don't buy into that statement. Vets don't like raw feeders as they are not selling their own kibble and in many a case fewer trips to the vet.

Raw feeding / Re: Cotswold Raw
« on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:35 »
A 3kg trial pack as you say Seaweed does seem a bit small to stay frozen. I have not tried Cotswold Raw but in the new year I may do. I recently  had a delivery from Naturaw who are also using these wool liners to keep their food frozen and it did work. I had 8kg's in my box though.

I think as long as you take the same approach to hygiene as you would when say cutting meat and particularly chicken for yourselves to eat and you wash your hands properly and wash all your surfaces , chopping boards etc theoretically there shouldn't be a problem. And I have heard that even kibble can be subject to Salmonella and other harmful bacteria.

Introductions / Re: Hello. R.O.R raw food?
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:14 »
 I raw feed my two Shih Tu's and I have never heard of R.O.R raw food myself either . I feed Wolftucker I find it a bit dryer than Nutriment although they do have it from time to time, and occasionally I buy  their food from Raw Pets supplies in Cardiff ( they deliver nationwide) but that is having to do a more DIY rather than completes, but very good value though. Do you know where it comes from at all? I shall look into it.

Introductions / Re: Dog food
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:03 »
 My suggestion would be to try a food that isn't too high in protein and buy the best quality you can afford. As Dottie says if you could provide more information as to what you are feeding now etc it would be helpful to advise you better. I raw feed my dogs and they have done very well on it as when my youngest dog a Shih Tzu  was small she was very hyper it calmed her down very well.

Introductions / Re: Mixing Raw and tinned/kibble
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:55 »
Hi I am an avid raw feeder. Although raw and kibble do digest at different rates I don't think a chicken wing is going to do too much harm. One thing I would watch for is the bone content of a chicken wing and you may have a problem with your dog having constipation if she/he has too much bone too often. If it is a problem Pumpkin seed is helpful to get over that problem if it occurs. You can buy it in supermarkets or I am sure health food shops.

Introductions / Re: Hello!
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:46 »
Hello Jen88 welcome to the forum. I joined here to get some advice on feeding and wanting to switch from raw to kibble and it was very helpful. I was finding it difficult to remember to take out enough out of the freezer so thought  I would give them a change and be a bit more convenient for me I changed - them after much research on dog foods on All About Dog Food- to Canagan , mainly as I have two Shih Tzu's so I didn't want a large kibble and Canagan do both a large and a small size kibble , they also do tinned meat in a number of varieties. Another good thing is you can try sample packets  of kibble for about £5 so you aren't having to  buy big bags and waste it if she/ he doesn't get on with it. I bought mine online from Kimis Pet Emporium.

My dogs did like it but after a about two weeks my younger one started getting an upset tummy I cannot categorically say it was Canagan but a couple of years ago I changed them both to Eden which again they loved but gave them both diarrhoea and I could not get rid of it and it went on for weeks with visits to the vets. I think for my two it was very high in protein something like 41% which for small dogs is way too high. Canagan  is only about 33% protein. With a larger dog such as yours shouldn't be a problem. I wasn't going to have that all over again and I put them back on raw and swear by that and have got into a better habit of taking it out of the freezer etc.

They are on Wolftucker  and love it. They are really healthy, teeth lovely and white, very small poohs rarely see a vet. Only once has Mali had her Anal glands emptied in her 11 years and Tasha in her ten years has never had hers done.

Introductions / Re: HELLO
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:16 »
Hello and welcome Archcherub. Sorry you aren't having much success in getting your dogs med into her. Have you tried putting it in a bit of cheese or sausage.? You could ask your vet if it is a capsule if you could open it up and sprinkle it in her food. Or another possibility is you can buy a pill dispenser - like a syringe and give it her that way. You can buy them at Amazon or you should be able to get one at a pet shop . I have been so lucky with Mali that she thinks of them as treats as she has one twice a day. I hope these suggestions help. Let us know how you get on.

Dog foods / Re: Canagan dog food opinions please.
« on: Jul 31, 2018, 07:44 »
Thank you Coaster and answer your questions.
 Initially the reason I decided to do DIY was that since Mali was put on medication for her heart problem it was going to cost £30 a month for the meds so as a pensioner I couldn't afford to do completes and the meds but wanted to keep them on raw. since then I now have a prescription to buy meds online for a third of the price.

Tasha hardly ever itches or scratches so I do think it is a problem just with Mali. I will take on board your suggestion of DE on their food. They are wormed regularly and Flea treated.

Unfortunately our house is mostly carpeted  but regularly vacuumed &  cleaned, and their beds are regularly washed easily as they are Wolfy Beds, and the girls washed with natural shampoo.

Mali has always suffered from Hotspots but unusually this year less so. Tasha never had a Hotspot

To be honest nothing has changed since doing DIY. Their coats are lovely, pooh's no problem, they don't have any supplements.
I am going to look into Cold Pressed food and see if that helps

The food sources they had with Wolftucker are the same as with the DIY sources, Chicken, turkey, beef tripe with the small exception of lamb in DIY ( there was only a couple of tubes of lamb).

The photo's are Mali on our lawn and Tasha  we are lucky they have 1/3 acre of garden to run around in.

« on: Jul 30, 2018, 21:23 »
Hi Dottie I have had a look at Cold Pressed on here and was just about settled on Gentle until I realised both small bite recipes contain brown rice. I have always avoided grain because I think it could be that that causes the itching. So I shall look at the other brands again. It really is a minefield out there. But thank you again.

« on: Jul 30, 2018, 19:33 »
Thank you so much everyone for your very valuable input. It is very heartening to have such a warm response to my query.
I hadn't known about cold pressed food until fairly recently when I ;looked at changing Mali & Tasha's food.  I think I will look into it a bit more before I make a decision.
I remember looking at Forthglade Cold pressed food but was a bit worried that they include Beet Pulp in the food and I know that is a filler. I have not really heard of the other makes until recently.

« on: Jul 30, 2018, 17:19 »
Thank you Petmum I have tried it for quite a while but didn't seem to do much for her. Which is what makes me think it could be habitual. as when she gets up in the morning she straightaway has to have a scratch. I do appreciate your help thank you.

« on: Jul 30, 2018, 13:58 »
Thank you Seaweed,  at the moment and for the last 6/7 weeks they have been on DIY using Raw Factory minces , MVM dinners and minces And Easy Raw from Raw Pets Supplies in Cardiff. Before that they were on Wolftucker which indeed have vegetables added. To be fair Mali has always scratched a little and of course it could be down to the weather and we have also thought it could be habitual too. I also only use natural shampoo's when they are washed.

I thought of trying them with Canagan as it is lower in Protein percentage than Eden or Orijen and one reviewer said it had stopped their dog scratching. Whether I should finish the raw I have left and then go on to Canagan or other or feed raw in am and kibble at night until the raw has gone.

Introductions / Re: HELLO
« on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:06 »
Thank you Dottie for the nice welcome. Yes they are both doing well all things considered re Mali's heart problem. She bounces around like a two year old. The medication will not cure the enlarging heart but will slow it down apparently. So fingers crossed if I could get their food sorted it will be great.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4