Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Pegasus

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Raw feeding / Re: Veterinary Times article on raw feeding
« on: Dec 02, 2015, 17:28 »
From what I have read, EU food standards are extremely high, especially regarding pet feed. My gripe with the article is not necessarily with the level of standards but the lack of acknowledgement that they are different in these countries.
I missed the bit about the carcase - could be something to do with the spelling, I always thought it was carcass but apparently either will do!
My main gripe is that the author dismisses all raw feeding as irresponsible rather than saying 'if carried out in a hygienic manner and to a balanced recipe, then raw feeding could show benefits however apocryphal the evidence currently appears.'
"There is no evidence eating a raw diet provides better health than eating prepared food." I too would like to see the study done but seeing as almost all studies into pet foods are carried out by Nestle, Mars etc I doubt that they would fund a study into showing a non processed diet is better than a processed one,

Raw feeding / Re: Veterinary Times article on raw feeding
« on: Dec 01, 2015, 11:35 »
Not a good article, in my opinion. It is written about food standards in the US, Canada and New Zealand which are totally different to the EU - even though he does state 'In the UK, strict regulations are in force' but this seems to be an after thought. Refers to feeding 'meat only' and doesn't reference that a raw diet should be balanced. Agree with the increased risk of swallowing bones, but I've had customers who's dogs have swallowed whole tennis balls - everything has an associated risk. There is also a risk of handling uncooked meat but if you follow the same guidelines for handling human food then risk is lessened.

Lynne? Which meats did you eventually manage to feed? Your initial list was very long! I ordered a food in for a customer with similar problems - meat source is Kangaroo! Grain free with pumpkin, carrots and beetroot

General discussion / Re: Please help!
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 15:36 »
Must go along with other posters - we would recommend changing as little as possible for young puppies. I'd recommend no treats or tit bits (use the food as training treat) until everything is ruled out except the food. At least a couple of weeks where the only food the puppy is getting is the Bob and Lush.
Interesting to hear the vet suggesting grain free, there does seem an increasing awareness between vets and diets.

General discussion / Re: High protein and hyperactivity
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 15:22 »
Re - 'Not scientific' - there could be a link between little true scientific research into dog food and the way that large companies like Mars and Nestle sponsor and/or fund much of the worldwide research into nutrition.

Dog foods / Re: bought a new food.... Thoughts?
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:38 »
Re Price; the delivery price meant the price of getting the food from factory gate to the shop, not to the customer - hence variation in price charged.
Re Country Kibble - not sure about this, as it says it is a VAT free food even though it is not classed as working dog food.
Re Pork - I mentioned this as best seller as we too were surprised at its popularity - check out the ingredients list on AADF to see thoughts on pork
26% plus meat content = 'premium', 50% plus = 'high meat' and then there's 80/20

General discussion / Re: High protein and hyperactivity
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 16:53 »
I've tried for ages to find a scientific study either proving or disproving the link. This is the best article https://www.ardengrange.com/hyperactive-pets-and-diet-advice.asp I've read.

Dog foods / Re: Grain and Potato free?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 16:27 »
Canidae 'Sea' and Barking Heads grain free are sweet potato based

Dog foods / Re: bought a new food.... Thoughts?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 16:10 »
It is white label and I can highly recommend it. Comes in Turkey, Lamb, Salmon & Trout and Pork as well as a Light, Puppy and Senior.  We've sold it since it launched last year, it is very popular and we have seen the benefits in many of the dogs that are on it. Pork is the most popular. As to margins, there is no RRP and there is the cost of delivery to be taken into account so different places may charge different prices - but we sell it at around 33% less than other grain free high meat content foods. Feeding amount guidelines are very similar too.
Just been on another part of the website and the food is reviewed as 4.1 out of 5. Dont know where the RRP is from, as I said there is no RRP.

General dog chat / Re: Trixie Premium Dog Harness
« on: Jul 29, 2015, 10:37 »
I wouldn't worry about the clips or D ring breaking - we have never had a harness returned broken - chewed yes! - can't help with the sizes though

General dog chat / Re: Trixie Premium Dog Harness
« on: Jul 27, 2015, 14:18 »
The Medium have larger clips and D ring than the small/medium - the sizes are still the same measurements and to be honest I can't remember any changes in these harnesses and we've stocked them for years

Dog foods / Re: List of foods made by GA
« on: Jul 20, 2015, 14:38 »
We sell the Grain Free food and it is priced at around 25 to 33% less than other 50/60% meat foods. (There is no rrp and the pdf flyer was for the launch of the food) We have had good results particularly in dogs showing intolerance to certain protein sources where a single source of protein suits them better.

Dog foods / Re: Pet Food Company Domination
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 18:58 »
Mars have bought Eukanuba & Iams for distribution in the States but I believe the European operation to have been bought out by an independent company

Dog foods / Re: VAT and Working Dog Food
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:38 »
I expect the rules on VAT regarding working dog food to be looked at when the HMRC v Skinners case is finally finished - they really went into the detailing of the definition of working dog food. I think some companies may have trouble claming their food to be working dog - Skinners went to great lengths to say they marketed their food to working dogs - gundog, sheepdog and agricultural shows as well as clear 'country' style packaging to define their market - as far as I understand, they argued that they then distributed through wholesalers so, even though they marketed to working dogs they could not restrict who actually bought the food from the wholesaler. This is a different situation to many of the smaller firms selling 'working dog' food as they sell direct to the public through websites and therefore actually know who is buying their food. Some of these firms market themselves at agility shows but is an agility dog a working dog? I think the definition of working dog will change - dogs are no longer allowed to be used for hunting, hare coursing is banned so are greyhounds working dogs? On the flip side of this, guide dogs and assistance dogs are not classed as working dogs, so you cannot claim the VAT back off the HMRC
VAT and the pet industry is nuts - rabbit food = VAT free, as rabbits are classed as food - guinea pig food = standard rated

Dog foods / Re: Re: VAT and Working Dog food
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:32 »
I hope Nutriment have consulted VAT man on their 'working' dog food. There is an ongoing case Skinners vs HMRC, with Skinners winning on the basis they advertise,package and market their foods for working dogs eg sheepdogs, gundogs, I would expect Nutriment to struggle to argue that a picture of a Papillon on the pack is advertising to a working dog market.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7