Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Seaweed

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
I see that Paleo Ridge are now selling Kangaroo chunks, Zebra chunks and Oily Fish.
http://www.paleoridgeraw.uk/store/c20/Low_Fat_products.html
http://www.paleoridgeraw.uk/apps/search?q=oily

General dog chat / Alabama Rot
« on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:46 »
Alabama Rot (Cutaneous and Renal Glomerular Vasculopathy) has been in the headlines again recently. For more information of this serious disease.  http://alabamarot.co.uk/

General dog chat / Lungworm
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:43 »
Lungworm is in the news more and more and can and has taken dog's lives. I myself recently heard of two puppies losing their lives through Lungworm. Wormcount.com offer a worm count service including a Lungworm screen.
http://wormcount.com/

General dog chat / Is there hope for Cataracts
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:44 »
You may have seen the articles in the daily newspapers a few months ago on Lanosterol and Cataracts where Dr Kang Zhang used seven breeds of dog that are naturally prone to cataracts including black Labrador Retrievers, Queensland Heelers and Miniature Pinschers as well as rabbits in his research.
Although more research has to be done, perhaps there will a product at the end of it not only for humans but dogs as well.
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3171048/Is-end-cataract-operations-New-eye-drops-dissolve-deposits-cause-cloudy-vision.html
www.rexresearch.com/zhangcataracts/zhang.html

General dog chat / Million Short
« on: Dec 24, 2015, 17:35 »
For anyone who has an interest in searching for dog foods the search engine "Million Short" is very useful as you can remove the top million sites. It can uncover a few gems as was the case with Pure Dog cold pressed and Healthy Dog Wild Boar cold pressed dog food posted elsewhere. www.millionshort.com/

Recalls and alerts / Benevo Duo
« on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:16 »
There was a recall earlier this month of Benevo Duo. The relevant information can be found on their Facebook page (Dec 3rd). www.facebook.com/Benevo

General discussion / Canine Diabetes Whats going on?
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:29 »
As November is pet diabetes week it's worth asking why is there a rise in canine diabetes. One thing that crossed my mind is how much sugar is there in dog food and how would a dog owner know. Adding Potatoes to dog food has been popular for some years however Potatoes comes out high in the glycemic index and this is just one ingredient. Buying dog food with diabetes prevention in mind seems most challenging. I don't think there is a glycemic index specifically for dogs and the human index is used. Some believe vaccinations play their part in the cause of canine diabetes. One thing for sure is that canine diabetes is on the increase. I don't know if David has a view on sugar in dog food and the rise of canine diabetes.
www.doctorsfinest.com/category_s/63.htm
Moving a way from sugar in 2013 a clinical trial using single session gene therapy was conducted www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130207114422.htm
The full text can be found here www.researchgate.net/publication/235398788_Treatment_of_Diabetes_and_Long-Term_Survival_After_Insulin_and_Glucokinase_Gene_Therapy

General dog chat / November is Diabetes month
« on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:40 »
November is pet diabetes month and free testing kits are available from participating vets. www.mypetonline.co.uk/petdiabetesmonth

Dogslife is a web based epidemiology study of Labrador Retrievers. A research project on the health of Kennel Club registered Labrador Retrievers who were born after 1st January 2010.
This is a very large study, there is also a breakdown of types of food fed, as reported to Dogslife. Interesting for all dog lovers.
www.dogslife.ac.uk/home

General discussion / Just What is in Dog Food?
« on: Oct 25, 2015, 09:05 »
Whilst researching a well known American dog food brand recently. I came across a blog (August 2015) on their website that mentioned Pentobarbital, the drug used in the euthanasia of humans, dogs and other animals has been found in major brands of dog food for sale in America. They were in fact referring to the FDA report of 2002. I think it is something worth mentioning. The FDA released a report on Pentobarbital in dog food in 2002, it is assumed Pentobarbital residue is entering pet food from rendered feed ingredients of cattle or even horses. www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofFoods/CVM/CVMFOIAElectronicReadingRoom/ucm129131.htm
Although I stand to be corrected, as far as I am aware nothing has changed to this day.
Now, whether rendered cats and dogs including those with Pentobarbital residue are in fact in some American dog foods, that is a subject very much at the heart of the dog food truth-seekers and their websites.

General discussion / Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat
« on: Oct 23, 2015, 16:23 »
I have a completely open mind when it comes to vegan, vegetarian dog food. I'm not seeing dogs falling over in the street because they are on these diets. I know they don't tend to score very well on the dog food sites but what is the true reality of vegan, vegetarian dogs, are they just as fit and healthy as any other dogs or perhaps even more so.  We've seen on the forum how dietary intolerance can be a problem and the stress and worry it can cause the owner, not least the dog. So if a follower of the forum has made a change to vegan, vegetarian dog food or for whatever reason perhaps they would like to drop in and tell us about their experience. I suspect not many people who use vegan, vegetarian diets use the forum which is a pity as the more we talk the more we learn

General dog chat / Microchipping Adverse Reactions
« on: Oct 17, 2015, 11:07 »
With compulsory microchipping for our dogs in England starting from 6 April 2016 (I'm not sure if Scotland and Wales start on this day). It is worth pausing for thought that when putting foreign bodies into our dogs, for some, it has not been plain sailing.
www.microchip-implants.co.uk/index.php/adverse-reaction-case-studies
www.chipmenot.org.uk/
For anybody not up to date with microchip adverse reactions, any microchip that has moved from it's original site of implant must be reported by law to the Secretary of State through the Veterinary Medicines Directorate. Your vet should be happy to do this. The microchip on one of my own dogs moved down to his upper leg and my vet has reported it.
The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015
Adverse reactions
10.—(1) Anyone who identifies an adverse reaction to a microchip or the failure of a microchip must report that reaction or failure to the Secretary of State.
(2) In this regulation “adverse reaction” means—
(a) any unnecessary pain or suffering, or any pathology on the part of a dog which is caused, or appears to be caused, by the implanting of a microchip; or
(b) the migration of a microchip from the site of implanting.
(3) In this regulation “failure of a microchip” means failure to transmit the number encoded in the microchip when scanned by an appropriate transceiver

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11