Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Seaweed

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
Recalls and alerts / Benevo Duo
« on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:16 »
There was a recall earlier this month of Benevo Duo. The relevant information can be found on their Facebook page (Dec 3rd). www.facebook.com/Benevo

General discussion / Re: Just What is in Dog Food?
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 13:53 »
A study into the occurrence of mycotoxins in 48 samples of extruded dry dog food found in the Italian market was published earlier this year.
www.petfooddiva.com/new-study-finds-widespread-mycotoxin-contamination-in-commercial-dry-pet-food/
The full text can be read here
www.researchgate.net/publication/272524027_Occurrence_of_mycotoxins_in_extruded_commercial_dog_food

Nice find Dottie. Any diet given incorrectly can lead to problems whether meat or veg. Interesting to see the growth in non meat dog food. I can only see more quality complete premium foods of this type coming on to the market. I see this as a positive thing not only for those who wish to do so but it may well help some of the dogs struggling in their daily lives who are on meat based diets, suffering from allergies, food intolerance's and anal glands problems etc. What a difficult life these dogs must have.

The proposed Kennel Club interim breed standard for the Jack Russell Terrier has now been published. www.thekennelclub.org.uk/jackrussellterrier

« on: Dec 07, 2015, 19:29 »
A new report has been published on the American pet food industry. The full report can be read here
www.cornucopia.org/2015/11/new-report-exposes-dangerousunhealthy-pet-food/#more-18352

General discussion / Canine Diabetes Whats going on?
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:29 »
As November is pet diabetes week it's worth asking why is there a rise in canine diabetes. One thing that crossed my mind is how much sugar is there in dog food and how would a dog owner know. Adding Potatoes to dog food has been popular for some years however Potatoes comes out high in the glycemic index and this is just one ingredient. Buying dog food with diabetes prevention in mind seems most challenging. I don't think there is a glycemic index specifically for dogs and the human index is used. Some believe vaccinations play their part in the cause of canine diabetes. One thing for sure is that canine diabetes is on the increase. I don't know if David has a view on sugar in dog food and the rise of canine diabetes.
www.doctorsfinest.com/category_s/63.htm
Moving a way from sugar in 2013 a clinical trial using single session gene therapy was conducted www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130207114422.htm
The full text can be found here www.researchgate.net/publication/235398788_Treatment_of_Diabetes_and_Long-Term_Survival_After_Insulin_and_Glucokinase_Gene_Therapy

General dog chat / November is Diabetes month
« on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:40 »
November is pet diabetes month and free testing kits are available from participating vets. www.mypetonline.co.uk/petdiabetesmonth

« on: Nov 15, 2015, 12:04 »
David mentioned this study back in March. However it is worth revisiting as many may not have read the actual study itself. To recap, in March 2015 a study titled " Investigation into the animal species contents of popular wet pet foods" was published. It was a study where researchers looked at the ingredients of 17 cat and dog wet foods available in the UK.
www.actavetscand.com/content/57/1/7
This was also mentioned in some of the newspapers at the time.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pets-falling-ill-to-undeclared-animal-ingredients-in-their-food-10147612.html
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020601/The-pet-food-swindle-Polar-brands-contain-high-quantities-meat-not-label-including-tins-beef-really-63-cent-chicken.html

Dogslife is a web based epidemiology study of Labrador Retrievers. A research project on the health of Kennel Club registered Labrador Retrievers who were born after 1st January 2010.
This is a very large study, there is also a breakdown of types of food fed, as reported to Dogslife. Interesting for all dog lovers.
www.dogslife.ac.uk/home

General dog chat / Re: What's In Your Doggy First Aid Kit?
« on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:01 »
Leucillin, a non toxic antiseptic spray that kills 99.99999% of germs and has a shelf life of 2 years, for maximum benefit use within 6 months of opening. It's always best to check the current shelf life of stock carried by stockists before buying so you can get the longest shelf life. www.leucillin.co.uk
Hypocare is a similar product. www.horseware.com/hypocare/pet-therapy.php. There are plenty of reviews and Q&A on Amazon.
Rehydration, electrolyte powder is always useful particularly in warm weather. We found a cooling coat to be a great purchase and brilliant for long car journeys. Cooling coats and cooling mats are effective at helping a dog from overheating. There is a demo from a leading UK brand at Crufts on YouTube.

General discussion / Re: What is the future of Dog Food?
« on: Oct 31, 2015, 17:31 »
Will Vitro meat (lab grown meat) have a place in the future of dog food. The idea of manufacturing meat products through "tissue-engineering" is very much in it's infancy.  However there appears to be growing interest in Vitro meat, also called victimless meat, cruelty-free meat, amongst others as a future food including dog food.and many laboratories around the world are working on this.  How many years will it be before the first Vitro meat factory producing pet food is built?. www.invitromeat4pets.org

Simon Parsons article on the forthcoming Kennel Club standard for the Jack Russell Terrier.
www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/147235/

General discussion / Re: Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat
« on: Oct 29, 2015, 16:28 »
Silverb19 thanks for posting. I myself feed a complete raw diet and it's something that suits my dogs. I understand and respect your views and it is shared by many. I myself don't see feeding a vegan, vegetarian diet as the norm, a problem ( I know many will disagree) providing like any other diet it is done with care and understanding. It is the total health of the individual dog that counts and if a vegan, vegetarian diet can give a dog a long and healthy live that's fine by me. Interestingly "Bramble" the blue merle Border Collie bitch who lived to 27 years old is often brought to the front by vegan, vegetarians in defence of this type of diet. Bramble was a rescue dog in the care of a lady called Anne Heritage. Of course dogs on a meat based diet have also lived a very long life. www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2002/October2002/News111002/ripeold.htm
When I see dogs on meat based diets and see so many suffering with allergies and anal gland problems both so difficult to deal with and with dogs going to the vets monthly to have their glands expressed which goes on year after year I do wonder rather than struggle on and on with a meat based diet, they wouldn't be better off on a vegan, vegetarian diet or at least give it a fair trial. Yes, I also would like to see a long term study done perhaps someday it will happen. I can see vegan, vegetarian diets for dogs becoming more popular through customer demand as time goes on, as people move away or cut right down on meat in their own lives. Looking around at the vegan, vegetarian dog food shop front, there appears to me, to be still a gap in the market for more premium British made vegan, vegetarian dog food ranges. As for the omnivores or carnivores debate in which one could drive oneself barmy trying to get to the bottom of, for me in two sentences Dr Sarah Ritzie (Royal Canin) sums it up very well. The reason.... www.petfoodnutrition.com/carnivore-vs-herbivore-vs-omnivore/ The vegan, vegetarian vs meat diet is certainly a subject of great debate.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31