Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Seaweed

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37
General discussion / Re: Just What is in Dog Food?
« on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:45 »
That was good work Tinyplanets finding Carrageenan when looking into alternative milks. In America there is the "GUT WRENCHING! Tell FDA to Remove Toxin (Carrageenan) from Food" petition". It seems a common ingredient in American wet dog food but not so prevalent in UK wet dog food. However saying that it didn't take long to find some that did have it as an ingredient. ZiwiPeak have now taken Carrageenan out of their moist canned dog foods and now use Agar-Agar as gelling agent. www.ziwipeak.com/frequently-asked-questions/carrageenan-in-ziwipeaks-canned-product/

« on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:02 »
Carrageenan is an ingredient found in some wet dog foods that has been causing concern for some time and it would be easy to fill this topic up with nothing but links.
Carrageenan can be found in some wet dog foods in the UK so if concerned it's worth checking the label. The links below can explain far better than I but basically Carrageenan is used for gelling, thickening and stabilising food. It has been linked to inflammation of the stomach that can lead to ulceration's or worse.
A full study "Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experiments." can be read in pdf at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pcm/articles/PMC1242073/
www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/carrageenan-just-dont-do-it/
www.ukfoodguide.net/e407.htm
www.truthaboutpetfood.com/why-carrageenan-can-be-dangerous-to-your-pet/

General dog chat / Million Short
« on: Dec 24, 2015, 17:35 »
For anyone who has an interest in searching for dog foods the search engine "Million Short" is very useful as you can remove the top million sites. It can uncover a few gems as was the case with Pure Dog cold pressed and Healthy Dog Wild Boar cold pressed dog food posted elsewhere. www.millionshort.com/

Dottie, the only added info I can give is Francken Food bvba (Belgium) is a wholesaler of dog food and producer of Healthy Dog. This was taken from a web page translation.

Healthy Dog have added a new variety to their cold press range of dog food, Wild Boar.
www.doghealth.co.uk/collections/food-treats-collars/products/new-wild-boar-100-natural-cold-press-dog-food

I don't think this brand has been mentioned on the forum before although I may be wrong. However to update the cold pressed topic. Pure Dog cold pressed grain free Chicken,Trout and Potato. Pure Dog also do a range of low temperature in-can cooking process wet foods. www.puredog.co.uk/

Recalls and alerts / Benevo Duo
« on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:16 »
There was a recall earlier this month of Benevo Duo. The relevant information can be found on their Facebook page (Dec 3rd). www.facebook.com/Benevo

« on: Dec 18, 2015, 13:53 »
A study into the occurrence of mycotoxins in 48 samples of extruded dry dog food found in the Italian market was published earlier this year.
www.petfooddiva.com/new-study-finds-widespread-mycotoxin-contamination-in-commercial-dry-pet-food/
The full text can be read here
www.researchgate.net/publication/272524027_Occurrence_of_mycotoxins_in_extruded_commercial_dog_food

Nice find Dottie. Any diet given incorrectly can lead to problems whether meat or veg. Interesting to see the growth in non meat dog food. I can only see more quality complete premium foods of this type coming on to the market. I see this as a positive thing not only for those who wish to do so but it may well help some of the dogs struggling in their daily lives who are on meat based diets, suffering from allergies, food intolerance's and anal glands problems etc. What a difficult life these dogs must have.

The proposed Kennel Club interim breed standard for the Jack Russell Terrier has now been published. www.thekennelclub.org.uk/jackrussellterrier

« on: Dec 07, 2015, 19:29 »
A new report has been published on the American pet food industry. The full report can be read here
www.cornucopia.org/2015/11/new-report-exposes-dangerousunhealthy-pet-food/#more-18352

General discussion / Canine Diabetes Whats going on?
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:29 »
As November is pet diabetes week it's worth asking why is there a rise in canine diabetes. One thing that crossed my mind is how much sugar is there in dog food and how would a dog owner know. Adding Potatoes to dog food has been popular for some years however Potatoes comes out high in the glycemic index and this is just one ingredient. Buying dog food with diabetes prevention in mind seems most challenging. I don't think there is a glycemic index specifically for dogs and the human index is used. Some believe vaccinations play their part in the cause of canine diabetes. One thing for sure is that canine diabetes is on the increase. I don't know if David has a view on sugar in dog food and the rise of canine diabetes.
www.doctorsfinest.com/category_s/63.htm
Moving a way from sugar in 2013 a clinical trial using single session gene therapy was conducted www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130207114422.htm
The full text can be found here www.researchgate.net/publication/235398788_Treatment_of_Diabetes_and_Long-Term_Survival_After_Insulin_and_Glucokinase_Gene_Therapy

General dog chat / November is Diabetes month
« on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:40 »
November is pet diabetes month and free testing kits are available from participating vets. www.mypetonline.co.uk/petdiabetesmonth

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37