Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Tinyplanets

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41
Thanks for the update. That is the first hurdle. I hope he continues to enjoy his food.  As Dottie says, any feedback you can give us, will be appreciated.

So sorry to hear this news. Such a hard decision but I think we all know when they have had enough. Saying goodbye is easier than watching them suffer.  Hopefully it won't be too long before you can think about Maddie and the memories make you smile. :'(

You could also try adding a little warm water to the dry food to release some smells and make it more interesting.

Hello and welcome to the forum. would you be able to provide a bit more information. How old is Sophie? Are you aware of any other allergies other than fish and shell fish. Was there shell fish/fish in the food you mention that she was allergic to? Are you weighing the food and if so is it the recommended daily amount. Sometimes this is quite generous and can be cut down. Have you tried an elimination diet?

It may also be worth thinking about using a muzzle when you are out if the scavenging is bad. I sometimes add sweet potato, brown rice or plain oats cooked in water to bulk out food without adding too many calories. Pureeing veg can also be useful so you could add some of the lower calorie veg in with the ones she will eat.

I am not sure about why the wet and dry food together is recommended . i would be interested to know why this is helpful for preventing possible kidney problems due to medication. The only thing I can think of is that the dry food encourages more water consumption.

Dog foods / Re: James wellbeloved
« on: Mar 27, 2018, 20:34 »
Hello and welcome to the forum. As Rebecca says, it may not be the food. I know that a dogs behaviour can sometimes be difficult when they hit their teens.  I agree that it may be worth waiting a while before changing the food.

Just to add, if you did want to try one of the cold pressed foods but are on a budget, Markus Muhle, works out cheaper than most and for the price, it has an excellent rating of 4.5. (the new red deer one is more expensive) Lukullus is also reasonable and you can get smaller bags if you wanted to try it first. 
You can find out some information about cold pressed food here

A tricky one as it seems likely that Blue may be used to junk food. ::)  I hope you can find something good for him that he enjoys.

General discussion / Re: Just What is in Dog Food?
« on: Mar 20, 2018, 18:15 »
Truly shocking. Very worrying. All these revelations serve to undermine consumer confidence further :'(

I am sorry to hear this news. I hope you get some definite answers soon. As petmum says, you are clearly doing the best you can to make sure she gets what she needs. :'(

Dog news / Re: Saving the British Bulldog
« on: Mar 11, 2018, 19:17 »
A very sad situation. My local vet often has posts on facebook describing some of the health problems that they are all too often seeing with this breed and also pugs. In particular the breathing problems sound distressing for both the dogs and owners.  :'( I hope something can be done to alleviate these issues in the future.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I mostly feed a raw complete and, yes, my dog does sometimes have more trouble passing a stool. I mostly avoid this happening by adding some pureed veg and rice to her dinner or I will feed a couple of meals of cold pressed kibble.
Given that your dog has had problems, I think I would try and avoid a diet change. Sometimes the higher protein kibbles can upset digestion.
The weight loss is a bit of a worry and something your vet will probably want to keep an eye on. It may be worth bulking out the raw with some brown rice or oats cooked in water and some veg. This may help with both weight loss and constipation without upsetting the digestion again.
Another thing to consider, is that the feeding recommendations are just guidelines. Your dog may need a bit more to maintain her weight. 

General dog chat / Re: How cold is too cold ? Brrrrrrr
« on: Mar 01, 2018, 18:11 »
We haven't really been out for a couple of days but my dog has spotted a mouse in the yard and wouldn't come in yesterday. I went and carried her in when I noticed her holding her paws up. She gets so focused on stalking, that she is oblivious to everything else.

General discussion / Re: To fast or not to fast ?
« on: Feb 25, 2018, 19:10 »
An interesting read Seaweed. I have read some about the benefits of fasting for humans also and it does sounds interesting. However practically I am not sure how well it would work for us. I wouldn't want to be around me if I was fasting as I can get very cranky when hungry  :-[. I think the dog would think she was being punished if we tried to fast her. Being a rescue, it has taken her a while to know that food comes regularly and no one is going to take it away.  It is only in the last year or so that she has been more relaxed at mealtimes. Personally I wouldn't want to do anything which may set her back.

Markus Muhle was the first food I fed after my bag of food, provided  by the rescue centre was finished. My dog did really well on it. She had been thin and a bit smelly and greasy but she was a stray so that was probably due to  her time on the streets rather than the food she had been on at the rescue. She is also having lukullus now as it comes in handy smaller bags. For those opting for cold pressed, it is good to know that there are good affordable options.

Dog foods / Re: Rottweiler Dry Food Help!!
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 19:16 »
Hello and welcome to the forum. For a dog with no specific health issues, It is hard for members to recommend a particular food as all dogs are different and finding one that suits and that your dog likes, is mostly trial and error. You can look at this thread for advice on how to use the quick search tool and find some different foods. If you find one that you like the look of, feel free to ask about it as some members may have had experience feeding it.

I haven't used them myself but it might be worth adding some fish or flax seed oil to her diet to see if it helps her skin. Good Luck.

General dog chat / Super shoppers
« on: Feb 21, 2018, 20:53 »
I just turned on to hear this programme advise pet owners that any food that said complete on the packet was fine to feed. They were comparing Pedigree to Royal Canin so with those particular brands, probably not worth the extra money for the Royal Canin. Nevertheless very worrying that there was no mention of ingredients and differences in quality and I felt by showing other foods such as forthglade and lilly's kitchen, the implication was that the consumer may as well save their money and stick to the foods with more questionable ingredients.   :(  Very disturbing and concerning.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41