Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Tinyplanets

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51
General pet chat / Re: Dogs or Cats or Both
« on: Sep 28, 2014, 20:51 »
Both for me.  I had a rescue cat for 20 years. He was aloof and obnoxious but very clever and often brought chocolate through the catflap. In lots of little ways he was very loyal but like most cats had a few others feeding homes.

Muffin is also aloof at times but when she is loving it means so much. It has taken her time to trust and feel safe so its a great feeling when she settles on my lap and seems content and secure.

Probably dogs have the edge as they understand how to work us humans better :-\

Dog treats / Re: Do you feed treats to your dog?
« on: Sep 28, 2014, 18:03 »
Good to know about Thrive, George. I haven't seen these before but it will be nice to alternate with the little stars so that they don't get too boring. The little stars are the smallest treats I have found. It is tricky when you have a 6kg dog who needs lots of encouragement to be obedient ;D

Dog treats / Re: Do you feed treats to your dog?
« on: Sep 28, 2014, 11:45 »
I have been giving a gravy bone when we go out. At night I give a homemade, gluten free camomile biscuit made with oats and brown rice flour. I also give a frozen kong filled with gentle daily and once this batch of gravy bones has gone, I will be giving Gentle as a treat instead.  I also take fish for dogs little stars out with me for good behaviour on a walk. As she is fear reactive I have to give them often and these are tiny.

There are also cheese and ham titbits at sandwich making time which I am trying to discourage, I think treats can be really useful for counter conditioning and desensitisation. Even when a response has been relearned, I still continue to treat the behaviour I want to encourage.

I am having the same response from my terrier about her new raw diet. She is very vocal at dishing up time now. I think there is definitely  enthusiasm for the new food but I have noticed that she is suddenly deaf to'  leave it' when she finds a snack when out. she has also eaten the odd bit of soil.  I have upped the potion slightly as she has visibly lost weight. I will also be continuing to give her some 'gentle' as in between treats and monitor.

I have to say, one of the first things I did as a dog owner was look into diet as I had been told about not feeding a terrier too much protein. What I found was frustrating and at times overwhelming. After stumbling onto this site, I decided on cold pressed as I recalled reading about how baking changes the chemical composition of food years ago. Hopefully people are becoming more aware and will demand more and the big companies will no longer get away with selling us rubbish.

General discussion / Re: Good dog feeding on a budget
« on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:56 »
If I offer raw veg, I have to give it in very small pieces or it wont be eaten. Cooked veg is more readily eaten. Having said that, she has started to enjoy bigger pieces of raw carrot.

Introductions / Re: Hello from Cornwall
« on: Sep 20, 2014, 20:56 »
Hi Chris, I fed Markus Muhle for a while and changed to gentle as it had brown rice as its main grain. I have to say, my dog did fine on both.

I have just changed to natures menu, probably just because I feel the need to give her some variety. She didn't seem to mind the same dinner but she is really enjoying her new food.

General dog chat / Re: Personal Hygiene Problem
« on: Sep 20, 2014, 20:51 »
Something like dirty dog soap by coconut blush, may be good for spot cleaning. It has flea repelling properties as well. I use etiderm shampoo which does get rid of niffs and is gentle on skin but it is rather expensive.

General dog chat / Re: Personal Hygiene Problem
« on: Sep 18, 2014, 18:45 »
Sorry I have no experience with dry shampoo except on myself at Glastonbury! It is basically just talc which absorbs the oil. In terms of odour, I know a couple of people who use baking soda as deodorant on themselves as they are allergic to most stuff. I am not sure how safe it would be for dogs in case they lick it off.

If its any consolation, my terrier has rolled in something dead this evening. This is the norm (Sigh)  However I forgot and just buried my face in her when she jumped up for a hug. She also seems to have acquired a meaty smelling mouth since going on to raw.

i hope you can get to the bottom of things and see an improvement. So hard to see them itchy and uncomfortable.

I have just started my little dog on natures menu. I like the look of nutriment and will possibly try it at some point. I have to say that natures menu is very convenient. You just defrost the right amount of cubes and serve. I didn't change due to allergies although my terrier has been a little itchy of late so can't comment on its usefulness in this respect.

I can say that she loves it and has had no digestive issues. Again though, she rarely had problems with this anyway.

General discussion / Re: Dental Plaque
« on: Sep 16, 2014, 18:09 »
I have just started my terrier on natures menu. She has the country hunter cubes at the moment and I have been thinking about teeth as they contain fruit. She does eat a bone occasionally and can munch her way through a big one without too much trouble. I hope this will keep her teeth clean.

Rescuing or adopting a dog / Re homing Muffin
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 20:57 »
Muffin is my first dog as a grown up and a former dogstrust resident.She was estimated to be 3 when we brought her home. It has certainly been a journey. She was a stray so had a completely unknown history. She was very nervous of lots of things and we still have some fear issues around other dogs, mostly when she is on a short lead.

We use counter condition techniques to help manage her fears and try to keep things as predictable as possible for her.  She is a small terrier mix, Cairnish in appearance and she is a massive personality. She is full of fun and attitude. We love her dearly and would not change anything about her. 

The decision to adopt was one of the best ones we made but I will be honest and say there were a few  tearful moments in the early days. I had so much support from forums like the Cairn forum who also kind of adopted her despite her questionable parentage!. They helped me through all my first time owner worries.

For anyone thinking about re homing, I would say, do your homework and be prepared but try not to be put off by any potential problems. We have gained so much and most problems can easily be managed when you understand them.

Introductions / Re: Hello from George
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 20:30 »
Hi George
I am glad you finally found a good food. I was possibly going to try nutriment soon but its complicated re delivery with it being frozen. Also having one dog, I may not be able to use it up. At the moment I am trying natures menu to see how my terrier likes raw. So far so good.

Introductions / Re: Hello from Tinyplanets
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 17:26 »
Yes it is true, we are a little bit obsessed  with dog food 8) and so very happy to have a food forum so we can get even more confused.

Dottie has an extensive knowledge of ingredients etc so I am sure will be a great contributor. 

General dog chat / Re: Daily dog chat
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 07:08 »
We had quite a lazy day on saturday, as we had been to the beach for a short break and had done some very long walks. We had a long walk in the woods on Sunday. Muffin seemed as energetic as usual.

We have also been shopping for raw food but went for natures menu. Sadly there are no stockists of nutriment near me.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51