All About Dog Food Forum

Dog food and feeding => Feeding dogs with health problems => Topic started by: Dottie on Feb 14, 2018, 19:56

Title: Feeding the fussy dog
Post by: Dottie on Feb 14, 2018, 19:56
David has just added a super new article by Roz Pooley to the website. Why is my dog a fussy eater? (https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/why-is-my-dog-a-fussy-eater) is well worth reading and should be a useful resource for pet owners who are struggling with this problem.
Title: Re: Feeding the fussy dog
Post by: Tinyplanets on Feb 15, 2018, 18:13
That was a really interesting read. Not having a 'fussy dog' I always assumed it was often behavioural. I suppose our dogs can't tell us if the food is making them feel ill.  I also suffer from IBS and only eat wheat very occasionally, so it makes sense that dogs may avoid foods they associate with discomfort :'(

Watching my dog, It is clear that she gets something from chewing fresh new grass and eating it frantically at times, presumably to settle her stomach. She also went through a spell of eating earth clods when she was on one food so I wondered if she was getting something that she was lacking. I changed food and it stopped.

Food for thought indeed.
Title: Re: Feeding the fussy dog
Post by: Meg on Feb 18, 2018, 22:28
Thanks for giving us the heads up Dottie.

Might I also comment on what is an excellent article - yes, it is well worth reading.   The author draws our attention to plenty of interesting reasons regarding why our dogs may not be enjoying eating their meals as much as we may appreciate...