All About Dog Food Forum

Dog food and feeding => Dog foods => Topic started by: David on Nov 13, 2014, 08:06

Title: The big question: What do you feed?
Post by: David on Nov 13, 2014, 08:06
This is the big one - a What do you feed poll!

Please try to stick to the foods that make up the core of your dog's diet on a day-to-day basis. You can vote for up to 5 foods.

I have entered all of the most viewed foods from the site but if yours isn't here, just comment below and I'll get it added to the list for you.

Can't wait to see the results!
Title: Re: The big question: What do you feed?
Post by: bounderboy on Nov 13, 2014, 08:49
It might be obvious to everyone else but wasn't to me - you need to register to vote..
Post by: David on Nov 13, 2014, 08:55
It might be obvious to everyone else but wasn't to me - you need to register to vote..

Yes indeed. Apologies for not making that clear. It just helps to prevent multiple votes from the same source which has been a problem previously with so many vested interests out there.
Post by: silverb19 on Nov 13, 2014, 09:10
Just started feeding Lukullus wet, and my dog loves it. Can you please add it?
Post by: Dottie on Nov 13, 2014, 09:31
Except for a recent short break I've fed cold pressed Gentle for approximately eight months. The dogs have done well on it, particularly the one with dry skin and poor coat.
Post by: David on Nov 13, 2014, 10:09
Just started feeding Lukullus wet, and my dog loves it. Can you please add it?

Thanks for letting me know. I've added Lukullus to the list.
Post by: Pegasus on Nov 13, 2014, 10:38
In regard to other thread on 'white label' - pet shop own brand added please?
Post by: David on Nov 13, 2014, 10:42
In regard to other thread on 'white label' - pet shop own brand added please?

Good point Pagasus. Done.
Post by: LaraBrown on Nov 13, 2014, 11:33
I feed my German Shorthaired Pointer on Eden and have done so for well over a year. She thrives on it and is a very active 9 year old. A bag lasts her a little over a month. We also buy their cat food for our little ginger psychopath.
Post by: George on Nov 13, 2014, 12:10
Can't wait to see the results!

Nor can I, I keep coming back for another look.

I answered Nutriment and Natural Instinct - I recently started including a couple of NI varieties in rotation with the 4 Nutriment varieties, just to give more variation, in the the veg as well as the meat.

Incidentally, I wonder if the results that are showing in bold type on my screen are supposed to represent my votes... only, they did at first but at some point it changed so that I'm seeing bold type for Millies Wolfheart & Natures Menu, ie the ones immediately above those I voted for. Perhaps it altered when the 2 new choices were included lower down.
Post by: Pegasus on Nov 13, 2014, 12:40
Normally on own brand Grain Free, Country Hunter tins & nuggets and Arden Grange Partners Grain Free, but having fed pfoody Kangaroo recently they expect that all the time
Post by: Dottie on Nov 13, 2014, 13:01
Gosh, that's another one I hadn't heard of.  The list of dog food gets ever longer. Having just looked it up, for anyone who is interested, an explanation of Pfoody is here (http://www.scampers.co.uk/pfoody--handmade-natural-dog-food.asp) and yes, there really is a Kangaroo variety!   :o
Post by: hedmin on Nov 13, 2014, 15:22
I feed raw but i dont see an others option
Post by: Dottie on Nov 13, 2014, 16:16
Does 'raw food - home prepared' not fit the bill?
Post by: martinek778 on Nov 14, 2014, 07:33
Sorry, none of those. I feed on Husse and I'm very impressed.
Post by: David on Nov 14, 2014, 08:46
Sorry, none of those. I feed on Husse and I'm very impressed.

It's now on the list. Many thanks!
Post by: Eden Holistic Pet Foods on Nov 15, 2014, 23:54
A couple of people I shared the link with on FB are telling me they aren't getting the confirmation email when they try and register. The site was down for a time yesterday, is there still a problem?
Post by: David on Nov 16, 2014, 07:26
A couple of people I shared the link with on FB are telling me they aren't getting the confirmation email when they try and register. The site was down for a time yesterday, is there still a problem?

Hi David. There does seem to be some issue with registering. While some members are able to register and log in without a hitch, some never receive the activation email and some can't even get past the registration page in the first place. I will continue to look for a solution today. Please apologise to your FB friends for me. The site being down on Friday was an unrelated issue with our host - apparently quite a few of their sites went down. They say they have fixed it now.
Post by: Dottie on Nov 16, 2014, 12:47
As mentioned in this thread (http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=719.msg1264;topicseen#msg1264) I agree with Schnauday's comment: "The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side."  
I suspect that if the poll was done with the dog owning population at large the results would be very different.  Many of us are interested in dog food  so that might skew the results.
Post by: Schnauday on Nov 16, 2014, 13:21
As mentioned in this thread (http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=719.msg1264;topicseen#msg1264) I agree with Schnauday's comment: "The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side."  
I suspect that if the poll was done with the dog owning population at large the results would be very different.  Many of us are interested in dog food  so that might skew the results.

Oh dear I'm having a bad day. I thought I'd posted that reply on this thread  ::) Never mind it fits on both threads ;D

Just in the short time I've owned a dog and participating in forums I've noticed the shift to raw. I have to admit I'd never really thought about dog food quality and went along with what the breeder recommended. Of course he came home with the advertising puppy pack from Royal canin with freebies and I was taken in.

I then found out about raw from forums, which to tbh I'd never heard of before. The poll is making very interesting viewing. The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side.
Post by: David on Nov 16, 2014, 13:31

Absolutely. In the real world, Nestle and Mars make up around 70% of the market with Bakers and Pedigree the nation's two favourite foods  :( This poll is more an indication of what more enlightened dog owners are feeding and I think it provides a very useful insight for people that are moving from the former group into the latter.

I'm also planning on keeping the poll going indefinitely and since we can add as many options as are necessary and we can all change our votes as we try new things, I think it will give a unique view of developing and declining market trends.
Post by: j.r. Mcewan on Nov 30, 2014, 16:48
I use Vets Kitchen food and don't see it on the list
Post by: David on Dec 01, 2014, 08:19
I use Vets Kitchen food and don't see it on the list

I've just added it to the list. Thanks for letting me know.
Post by: telles on Dec 01, 2014, 10:45
Hi David,

I feed my dog Sam with a Naturea which I find absolutely excellent. The only problem is that it is not your list?

Thanks,
Telles
Post by: flin on Dec 30, 2014, 10:06
Hi I feed my two on My Mad Dog,  Chicken and Rice Premium ...Its hypoallergenic and they did like it at first ..

Post by: David on Jan 26, 2015, 06:48
Apologies Telles and Flin, somehow missed your posts. I've added those two brands to the list so please cast your vote whenever you get the chance. Many thanks!
Post by: Supawpetfoods on Mar 30, 2015, 00:43
Orijen all the way baby! In fact, I am so confident and proud of the food that I sell it myself. Canagan and Orijen are the only two dog foods I stock.
Post by: tabelmabel on May 16, 2015, 19:41
The natural dog food company. It's the only food I've fpund that stops my dog itching and he likes it too. It's perfect for him!
Post by: pippas_people on Jan 05, 2016, 17:16
Our 5 month old Border Terrier is currently on both varieties of Forthglade puppy, and all three varieties of Akela small paws. For treats we normally offer her the Akela 80/20 fish treats which are hoovered up very happily.
I found out about both these products through this site and she seems really happy with them.

She loves Salmon skins too!
Post by: COASTER on Jan 25, 2016, 00:37
We have two dogs....

Currently one working line dog is fed Akela Fish Feast (big paws) 80/20 dry extruded kibble - the other (smaller dog that takes relatively less drinking water) is currently fed Wainwrights wet complete trays.

I haven't voted as first food not listed in the poll & even if it was I am not sure how or if I could vote twice for two dogs on different foods

Just for the record I feed Akela Fish dry extruded kibble for various reasons....... I wanted my working line Lab to have  grain free, (to reduce anal gland issues), maize free (to reduce loose output), also wanted white potato free & relatively low simple carb levels (on back of alleged non-industry comments that reducing simple carb levels may reduce energy source that feeds mast cell tumours). I also wanted higher omega 6 than 3 (similar reasons).  Not cheapest but I could  pay more for what I feel are worse or no better foods.

The Wainwrights trays are good value and have a good rating here.... Also relatively low levels of simple carbs.

I value decent foods & customer service, however, I do not have fixed brand loyalties &  (in a changing industry that should benefit from healthy competition), am always looking at differing products, food types, composition & customer experiences  (mine & others).
Post by: Linnie on Jan 26, 2016, 12:44
I have been feeding Aatu chicken for the last few months which is ok but pricey. Have just bought some food called Wellness Core which, when reading the label, seems okay but obviously not 80/20 like Aatu.  I cannot find anything about this food. Has anyone else used it?
Post by: WellPet on Jan 26, 2016, 17:41
Hi Linnie, my name is Maryann and I’m with Wellness Natural Pet Food. We read your question about Wellness CORE and wanted to reach out. Thanks for your interest in CORE. CORE is free of grain and un-natural additives, while remaining full of meaty protein. We also create our recipes with a careful balance of natural, quality ingredients. We offer CORE dry recipes and also CORE Chunky Centers, an innovative wet product with a meaty middle of shredded proteins and rich gravy surrounded by delicious pâté. All CORE recipes are available at Pets at Home. Our Consumer Affairs Team would be happy to provide you with the nutritional and product information you may need. Please look for a private message from us. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Cheers!
Post by: Chris on Feb 19, 2016, 00:57
I feed my dog ZiwiPeak  ;)
Post by: akita2015 on Apr 27, 2016, 19:11
I just started feeding a new raw diet  because meat was very expensive. So far my pups  are doing very well. Poops are small and energy levels are through the roof. Their website is happeedawg dot com anyone located in California looking for new raw.
Post by: Alastair on Aug 22, 2016, 21:27
I feed Sneyds Wonderdog Special and have done so for nearly six years. I really can not agree with the low rating given. It gets 5 out of 5 from me.
Post by: Dottie on Aug 23, 2016, 09:30
Hello and welcome to the forum. The method of rating products is explained in the Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/faq.php) page of this website. If you read the relevant section 'How are the expert ratings calculated?' it will help you to understand why the score is so low.
Post by: Dottie on Dec 28, 2016, 11:51
Have asked David to do this. Thank you for letting us know.
Post by: David on Jan 02, 2017, 10:22
Can you please add "Natural  dog food company" to the list of foods as this is one of my core foods.Thanks

Sorry about the hold up Meg. Natural Dog Food Company is now an option on the poll. Thanks for your patience.
Post by: Bobbys dad on Feb 21, 2017, 19:40
We feed bobby forthglade wet (trays) with a handful of JWB kibble.
Post by: AMIPUK on Apr 06, 2017, 08:41
Hi .Fantastic forum.Thank you all for giving up your time to help us .Please could Forthglade be included in the list if you feel it appropiate.
Post by: Dottie on Apr 07, 2017, 19:36
I am sorry about the delay Amipuk. I have been able to edit the poll and Forthglade is now included.
Post by: DeclanjjWhelan on Apr 08, 2017, 18:13
Hi there, I actually feed Butternut Box, is that able to be an option? Alternatively I can just choose home cooked perhaps? What do you think?
Post by: Dottie on Apr 08, 2017, 18:47
I have edited the poll to include Butternut Box. I tried this a few weeks ago and found it to be almost too good for the dogs - it smells delicious! LOL  I froze the portions and they are having one a week as Sunday lunch. 
Post by: DeclanjjWhelan on Apr 17, 2017, 14:08
 :) Thanks Dottie for adding them in, I have updated my choice on the forum now! I know what you mean about the food, it really is as if you cooked it at home haha!
Post by: Dog on May 07, 2017, 16:00
Can you add Devoted to the list, my English Pointer is now on his 2nd bag and his skin has never been better.
I feed my French Shepherd (Beauceron) with 'Barking Heads Big Foots Bad Hair Day' (tis called that!) or Markus Murle Black Angus but,
I'm changing to Millies Wolfheart Peak Performance (high fat) to try and put some weight on him.
Post by: Dottie on May 07, 2017, 19:53
Devoted has now been added.