All About Dog Food Forum

Dog food and feeding => General discussion => Topic started by: paulwiggie on Sep 08, 2015, 17:41

Title: which food
Post by: paulwiggie on Sep 08, 2015, 17:41
hi peeps,

I have a Dogue de Bordeaux of which I rescued in January. She is 4 - 5 years old and come with a bag of wagg.

First thing I done was move her to James Wellbeloved large breed over a few days. She has always had dry skin, I put it down to the fact she wasn't kept in the best condition. she was 45kg and now weighs a healthy looking 55kg. Recently I was told by my vet the dry skin will probably be a food allergy and I should get her booked in for some tests.

Having just found this website it seems that James Wellbeloved contains some stuff which can cause allergies. So I have been looking at food for her which doesn't contain all the red stuff and is better for her.

I have come across millies wolfheart riverside mix, shall I try her with this for a month or so and if there is no improvement take her for tests? or does anyone have any other recommendations? as a side note, I do not give her any other food such as treats etc to rule out any other source of the problem.
Title: Re: which food
Post by: Tinyplanets on Sep 08, 2015, 20:08
Hello and welcome to the forum,
The tests might work out to be expensive. Personally, I would start with a food with minimal ingredients if I was looking to identify an allergen. Then introduce things gradually to see if any cause the dryness to flare up. I recently tried fish4dogs finest wet complete which is just mackerel and potato. It is popular with my dog. The naturediet is just meat, rice and vegetables and fourthgalde is a similar food. I am sure somebody may be able to advise about a dry food with minimal ingredients but often people try grain free for allergy issues as a starting point.

The riverside mix does look good however and the fish oil in it might help with the dryness.
Title: Re: which food
Post by: Dottie on Sep 08, 2015, 20:57
Hello and welcome to AADF forum. Nice to hear that you have rescued your dog and are now trying to give him a better diet to improve his health.  The advice by Tinyplanets is good - keep to a recipe that is as simple as possible.

Coincidentally one of my dogs had coat and skin problems when I used to feed JWB a few years ago. I transferred her onto a grain free fish (salmon) diet and it improved greatly. She's back on it again at the moment and coat/skin are good. Also, very few dogs are intolerant of fish.

You asked about MWH Riverside. Just checked the formula and it has a lengthy list of ingredients with the meat source/protein derived from duck and trout. It's a quality product but at this stage I'd be more inclined to go for something with salmon in it and a simpler recipe.