Hi. I am new to the site. I wanted to find out whether other people's dogs have had problems with dried trachea treats? My beautiful boy, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, died in May of this year as a result of one. He had never had one before. I was with him monitoring. He chewed it for 30 mins before swallowing. All was fine until he swallowed it.
Instantly I knew there was a problem as he was gasping for breath. I got him instantly to the vet surgery. They xrayed him and did blood tests etc, kept him in for 8 hours, re x-raying before he came home. The vets thought it may have hurt him as he swallowed it, scratched his throat, caused him gas due to the gasping of air. The following day I was with him all day. Seemed a little better by the evening but still not right as only eating a tiny amount of very soft food . Took him back to the vet's the following morning. They kept him again and re x-rayed, bloods ... I collected him at 1.30 that afternoon. We got home. At 2pm he had a little wee in the garden then I placed him on his chair. A few minutes later there was blood flowing from his nose and his mouth and I think he died right there and then. In my desperation I was driven back to the vets, giving him mouth to mouth resus but he was dead on arrival. The post mortem showed that the trachea 'treat' had torn his oesophagus. Between it happening and his death, it had gone necrotic and then fully ruptured. Three different vets had seen the three xrays and the tear had not been visible.
A few weeks later I heard of a Newfoundland dog also dying as a result of these at the same vet surgery, but I believe the owners are not pursuing the matter.
I am trying to communicate with the manufacturers of the treat but they are being very disrespectful at the moment, and denying they even supplied the treat. I am working with Citizens Advice and Trading Standards but may have to pursue this through the civil court. I just want them to look into it.
But if you know of anyone else who has suffered this, I would be interested to know. It could be a random, utterly tragic accident. But two dogs at one surgery makes it seem less likely to be. And very different size breeds. And I have written evidence from the vet to confirm cause of death.
My boy was only 7, and was a happy, healthy dog.