Acana Classics

Hi! I recently came across this site and has been very helpfull. Has anyone tried any of the Acana’s Classics recipes? Prairie Poultry, Wild Coast and Classic Red? I am currently feeding my two dogs (labrador mix and a border collie mix) Acana Regionals -wild prairie and pacifica- but i am thinking of switching to their Classics range to lower the cost. I would very much appreciate your thoughts and experiences with this food if you have any. Thank you in advance!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I was hoping that someone would come along and answer your query because I have not used Acana. I am not aware of the Classics range either. Possibly the best thing to do is copy the ingredient list and paste it into the Instant Review Generator. The other range that you mentioned is already in the Dog Food Directory so you have a comparison.

Hi, it’s good to be a member to this community. I’ ve already put the ingredient’s list in the instant review generator and all three recipes scored a very good 4.1 but i suspect an actual review would rate them slightly higher, as the food contains milk thistle and the program marks the word milk in red, thinking it contains dairy products. I am very satisfied by the Regionals range so far which scores a 4.8 (firm stools, shiny coats, no digestive problems whatsoever etc.) but it’s been a burden financially. I was thinking moving to the heritage range (more specific to cobb chicken and greens) but the heritage line does not have recipes based on fish and red meats, only chicken as the main ingredient and i would like to add variety to my dogs’s diet. The Classics line on the other hand has recipes based on fish and red meats besides poultry. They contain less meat (29% protein vs 35%) and also have grains (oats) but they are much more affordable ranging from 20 to 30 euros (18 to 27 british pounds i think) cheaper than the regionals line, depending on the recipe. Also they come in 17kg bags besides the typical 11.4kg bag. Anyway i think i’ ll give it a go and if nothing else i will share my experiences with this food here by posting an update.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. From what you say, the range sounds satisfactory and I wouldn’t be concerned about the lower protein when dealing with adult Labs/cross. The level is respectable and should ok. Oat has some nutritional value for the dog and is a good source of fibre. Poos may therefore increase in amount.
Financially, many pet owners do their best but there often has to be a limit to what we spend. This range will be more cost efficient without sacrificing much in terms of quality. Milk thistle is reported to be good for the liver.
Look forward to hearing your review.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I have fed my dog Acana lamb for some time, and I was happy with it.
As usual, there’s no black and white rule with dog food: Acana is the lower protein version of Orijen (they are manufactured by the same company) and it definitely is a premium food, with clear labels and fairly traceable ingredients.
My recommendation Is to buy the smallest size bag, see how your dog goes and take it from there. The score on the website is a guideline and not necessarily a food scoring 4.8 will be better than a 4.2, because it essentially depends on your dog and how his metabolic system works.

1 Like