Author Topic: Does your dog have ANY digestive issues - hope this helps (Re Carrageenan)  (Read 2406 times)

Seaweed

• View Profile
Freshpet, available in some Asda and Tesco stores use Carrageenan, not in the dog food directory at present. https://freshpet.com/en-gb/ask-freshpet/

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Several companies that use carrageenan in their wet foods have pointed me towards this study which found that carrageenan is safe for animal consumption. Although this is certainly worth consideration, there are also a ton of studies that indicate the contrary (there's a good summary here) so it's really up to each of us to make our own judgements.

Personally, I have no confidence in the safety of the ingredient. The weight of evidence against it coupled with the numerous stories just like Shingigz's that I have come across over the years - digestive problems that grew worse on foods with carrageenan and better on foods that were carrageenan free, just make it too much of a risk, especially for dogs with any history of digestive upsets.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Millies Wolfheart and Bob & Lush wet ranges also confirmed carrageenan free.
Forthglade and Arden Grange wet foods do contain carrageenan.

HOWEVER...

Thanks to the recent upsurge in interest on the matter, Forthglade are now trialling alternative stabilisers so I'd say that's a great result.

shingigz

• View Profile
I found this interesting from your second link (I've just started reading it):

"when laboratory mice are exposed to low concentrations of carrageenan in their water for 18 days, they develop profound glucose intolerance and impaired insulin action."

When my dog was ill on the food containing carrageenan, when he had his episodes he sometimes developed symptoms of what looked like low blood sugar: loss of appetite, uncontrollable shaking, uncoordinated drunken appearance, racing around wildly, back arching, glassy stare - some of the symptoms look very similar to what a partial complex seizure looks like on videos I have seen.

shingigz

• View Profile
"Thanks to the recent upsurge in interest on the matter [carrageenan], Forthglade are now trialling alternative stabilisers so I'd say that's a great result."

It's good to hear this, and it will be a great result if they actually carry through with it.  If thickeners aren't labelled, I will still have to ask the company to check if it contains carrageenan before I give it to my dog.  I have let Lily's Kitchen know about this.  Hopefully they will be feeling the heat, too.

shingigz

• View Profile
From Barking Heads (Barking Heads, Meowing Heads, AATU) to me:

"I am please to say that all our wet food whether it is cat or dog is free from carrageenan and doesn’t contain any thickening ingredients, the jelly like substance you sometimes see in the pouches is the natural juices from the meat.

We will certainly take on board the request for smaller pouches for possible future changes however did you know the food can keep fresh in the fridge for up to 72 hours?"

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More wet foods that DO contain carrageenan:
Rocco
Lukullus
Cambrian (including all of their private label ranges - i.e. Europa, Ci, Country Kitchen, Huntland etc)

Natures Menu and Carnilove wet ranges are confirmed carrageenan FREE.

Doobydools

• View Profile
Quote from: shingigz on May 01, 2019, 09:39
"Thanks to the recent upsurge in interest on the matter [carrageenan], Forthglade are now trialling alternative stabilisers so I'd say that's a great result."

It's good to hear this, and it will be a great result if they actually carry through with it.  If thickeners aren't labelled, I will still have to ask the company to check if it contains carrageenan before I give it to my dog.  I have let Lily's Kitchen know about this.  Hopefully they will be feeling the heat, too.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just to add I've received this back from Lily's:

>>>"Carrageenan is a natural polysaccharide that is extracted from seaweed. It is widely used in the food industry, for its gelling, thickening, and stabilising properties. It is also commonly used as a vegetarian or vegan alternative to gelatin.

While anything could be harmful in excess, we only use a very small amount of undegraded carrageenan in our food.

Carrageenan is common in many pet and human foods, though it is not a legal requirement that it is declared. However, we like to be as transparent as possible which is why we include it on our label.

We work closely with experts and vets to create all of our recipes, and without the inclusion of carrageenan, our wet food would have a watery consistency, due to the natural moisture content of the ingredients we use. All of our food is made in accordance with the guidelines set out by FEDIAF and the appropriate laws governing the European pet food industry. "<<<

They also said they would pass on my feedback (namely, that I do not wish to feed my dog carrageenan or any other similar 'thickener') to the relevant team.

Seaweed

• View Profile
Applaws and Carrageenan, under "Real ingredients to support real benefits" https://www.applaws.co.uk/about-us/our-ingredients/

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I am not particularly reassured that the carrageenan they use is human grade. I avoid eating anything with it in if I see it listed in the ingredients.

shingigz

• View Profile
Quote from: shingigz on May 01, 2019, 09:39

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just to add I've received this back from Lily's:

>>>"Carrageenan is a natural polysaccharide that is extracted from seaweed. It is widely used in the food industry, for its gelling, thickening, and stabilising properties. It is also commonly used as a vegetarian or vegan alternative to gelatin.

While anything could be harmful in excess, we only use a very small amount of undegraded carrageenan in our food.

Carrageenan is common in many pet and human foods, though it is not a legal requirement that it is declared. However, we like to be as transparent as possible which is why we include it on our label.

We work closely with experts and vets to create all of our recipes, and without the inclusion of carrageenan, our wet food would have a watery consistency, due to the natural moisture content of the ingredients we use. All of our food is made in accordance with the guidelines set out by FEDIAF and the appropriate laws governing the European pet food industry. "<<<

They also said they would pass on my feedback (namely, that I do not wish to feed my dog carrageenan or any other similar 'thickener') to the relevant team.

I had the same reply from them early in March 2019, word-for-word (below).  So they must be used to customers  asking them about their use of carrageenan.

"Carrageenan is a natural polysaccharide that is extracted from seaweed. It is widely used in the food industry, for its gelling, thickening, and stabilising properties. It is also commonly used as a vegetarian or vegan alternative to gelatin.

We work closely with experts and vets to create all of our recipes, and without the inclusion of carrageenan, our wet food would have a watery consistency, due to the natural moisture content of the ingredients we use. All of our food is made in accordance with the guidelines set out by FEDIAF and the appropriate laws governing the European pet food industry."

xx
7 year old Boxer consistent digestive issues

Started by Kee081271

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2019, 17:25
by Tinyplanets
xx
9 month old lab with sudden on off digestive/sickness/diarrhoea issues

Started by Mand108

9 Replies
Last post Mar 01, 2015, 21:06
by Mand108